Gardening can be a very rewarding
hobby for older adults as it provides many benefits including social, physical,
and emotional ones. Tending to a garden is a leisurely activity that can help
to improve one’s overall health.
- Creates a sense of community amongst members of your neighborhood.
- Helps build social networks, especially through community
- Lowers the risk of heart attack, stroke, and high blood
- Increases physical activity and improves physical
- Strengthens coordination, limb dexterity, and increases hand strength.
- Spending time outdoors enables you to get a good night sleep.
- Lowers risk for Alzheimer’s Disease, depression and reduces stress.
- Encourages healthy eating habits.
- Offers a chance to explore your creativity.
- Provides you with a sense of accomplishment.
Even with all these wonderful benefits, the physical
effort that it takes to get a garden started can be too taxing for some older
adults. Stay tuned for our next blog post which will help ensure that
your gardening experience is a breeze.